The City operates two cemeteries.
Pioneer Rest and Calvary Cemeteries make up the “old cemetery” as it is known by local folks. It is located at 25th St. & Forest Avenue. The “new cemetery” (Holy Cross and Forest View) was formed in about 1909 and is located at 3801 Mishicot Rd.
History is all around as you walk through the cemeteries. Two items of interest are the monument in memory of the unknown sailors from the SS Vernon, which sank off the shore of Two Rivers in 1887, and the Voshardt Mausoleum.
Year-round, the cemetery department consists of a Sexton-Foreman and a full-time employee. To keep the grounds mowed, trimmed, and well-groomed, additional staff is added during the summer months.
Twice per year, all decorations, natural or artificial, are to be removed from grave spaces to allow for the general clean-up of the cemeteries. Spring Cleanup is from mid April – mid May. Fall Cleanup is from mid October – mid November. For more information, please call 793-5599, or stop at the cemetery office at 3801 Mishicot Road.