1717 East Park Street, Two Rivers WI 54241 (920) 793-5523

 

Lighthouses in Two Rivers

Two Rivers Harbor Beacon

The City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses. Pictured to the right is the beacon at the point where the two rivers meet Lake Michigan, just South of the Two Rivers Coast Guard Station. This beacon is used to ensure boating traffic can find the open waterways of Two Rivers safely.

North Pier Lighthouse

North Pier Lighthouse

The North Pier Lighthouse started as a small thirty-six foot tall skeletal wooden light on the end of the North pier to help provide vessels with a visual fix on the harbor. It was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of significant deterioration. As was the case with most Great Lakes Lights, with the universal adoption of radar and LORAN, the Coast Guard determined that the light no longer performed a necessary function, and was extinguished in 1969. The Coast Guard donated the entire structure to the Two Rivers Historical Society, who relocated it to the Rogers Street Fishing Village Museum, a group of historical buildings maintained as a memorial to the city's proud fishing heritage. Reconstructed with a wide wooden walkway, the tower is open for visitors from 10:00AM to 4:00PM May through October, and by appointment during other months.

Rawley Point Lighthouse

Rawley Point Lighthouse

The U.S Coast Guard has operated a lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853. This relocated lighthouse, which came from Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan. It's lantern is one of the largest and brightest on the Great Lakes. Because it is on view it is to walk along the beach from Point Beach State Park. Rawley Point is named after Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in the area in 1835. Some accounts say that a light was established here as early as 1853, a 75 feet tall arrangement of four poles holding a lantern; this was succeeded by a wooden house and tower.